Forgot OTPs | Better way to secure your accounts

 As many security experts say that "To get better security on accounts you should use 2 Factor Authentication". but it is not just about the one-time passwords (OTPs). You can achieve this by simply installing some advanced applications. I personally use Google Authenticator for this purpose to secure my accounts. 

Source: Google Authenticator


First of All, I will tell you, Things I personally use and then the other alternatives.

Google Authenticator

It is not the best 2FA app in the world, however, it is definitely the most famous one for sure. All thanks to the company behind it which has created an omnipresence on the web.

Google Authenticator works like any other 2FA app. You scan a QR code using the back camera and enter the 6-digit code to verify the process. The first thing that struck me was the lack of app security. This is an important app however there is no way to lock it. Sure I can use an app locker and use pattern lock to unlock my phone. But an app this important, it should come with an app lock.



Another thing is that there is no way to back up the contents or settings of this app in case I am switching phones. I will have to rescan all sites/apps which can be a chore because first, I will have to disable 2FA because I won’t have access to my old phone, so I won’t be able to log in.

The UI is simple and minimalist, like other Google apps that we have come to like and use. There is support for the dark theme but it is not true black. It is completely free and ad-free.

Pros:
  • Free
  • Dark Theme 
  • QR Code
Cons:
  • No App Lock
  • No application for Mac and Windows
  • No Way To backup - Only Transfer One Mobile To Other Mobile

Alternative Applications

  1. Microsoft Authenticator
  2. Twilio Authy
  3. 2FA Authentication
  4. Last Pass Authentication
  5. Aegis Authentication
  6. Duo Mobile
  7. HENNGE OTP Generator
  8. andOTP

Conclusion

No doubt, Google Authenticator is a trusted two-factor code generator. However, the minimum flaws make it vulnerable. It is when you should check out these Google Authenticator alternatives for your Android or iOS mobile.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post